Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 14:29:12 +0300

> Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 11:12:32 +0000
> Cc: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>, eliz@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> I will probably continue using the plain Linux console, for all these
> reasons.

So you don't like fbterm.  That doesn't mean Richard won't.

The fact that fbterm uses hacks and kludges shouldn't be significant,
since many a software on GNU/Linux does.  Including Emacs, btw.  The
question is: does the user like the end result?

> I agree with Richard that there should be an option for displaying
> characters outside of the current font as "�" rather than "\u2022".

I already explained how to set that up, so what exactly does the
"should be" part here want to say?  There is already such a way in
Emacs.  Just use it, if that's what you want.

> It is a feature of the Linux console that all such characters are
> displayed that way.

That feature provides no way of using it via standard terminfo
interfaces.  Heck, even the way to ask the console which characters it
supports is a kludge specific to that console!

> There is no possibility of any character causing an undefined
> action.

Famous last words.  (And we don't send characters to the console, we
send bytes.)