Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 06:55:54 +0200

Richard Stallman wrote:

>> It works, but looping over all the Unicode characters is
>> very slow, so doing that at each startup would be
>> unacceptable. If someone needs, I can show a simple code to
>> be run by the user, once, on the Linux console, that would
>> allow then to determine the codepoint ranges for which the
>> U+FFFD (or any other) replacements are needed, so that
>> users could run that code, and then put such customizations
>> in their init files.
>
> That's the way I'd like it to work. I would not mind running
> this again if the capabilities of the Linux console ever
> change,

Last time I heard anything about it work on it was
disencouraged, I don't know if this was because they wanted to
make Linux stronger on the desktop (this was before the
smartphone era) or if they thought working on it would
increase complexity and introduce bugs, and that would be bad
since, as we heard in another post already, it is relied upon
not just by Emacs powerusers but also for debugging when
X fails ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal