Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 14:02:56 +0300

> From: Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org>
> Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 05:21:26 +0200

> >> Yes, but there is surely a way to get around that, a way
> >> that is better
> >
> > If you know how to get around that, please tell the details.
>
> In general ...
>
> Compute f(x) = y
>
> Store f = ((x y) ... ) somewhere.
>
> Next time don't compute, search for x, find y?
>
> Maybe x can be detected automatically, as well? Then the whole
> process is automated, and invisible.
>
> No addition to the user's init files necessary, unless s/he
> explicitely wants to recompute, "switch x" to something else,
> redefine it, yada yada, that will then use whatever you used,
> to do steps 1-2 ... and then THAT will be used with the same
> functions because only the data (mapping) has changed.

I don't think I follow.  What is "x" and what is "y" in this case?

And where "somewhere" to store this, except on the user init file?

And what is meant by "detect x automatically, as well"?  If that is
the inability to display certain characters, then that's exactly what
the command does, so what is the "automatic" alternative you have in
mind?  Invoking the command automatically every startup is
unacceptably slow, as was already explained.  What other ideas are for
automatically detecting this?

IOW, do you have concrete ideas, or are these just general
aspirations?  If the latter, then I already considered the possible
concrete implementations, and concluded that they will be worse than
what was installed.