Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 19:02:14 +0200

On Wed 07 Sep 2022 at 12:48, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> No, he said that the generated code is saved automatically in a file and
>> if the user puts (some-hypothetical-other-command) in his .emacs
>> manually, it will load the saved file.  Something like:
>>
>> (defun some-hypothetical-other-command ()
>>   (or (let ((f "~/.emacs.d/cache/some-hypothetical-other-command.el"))
>>         (when (file-exists-p f)
>>           (load f)))
>>       (generate-and-save-that-slow-code)))
>
> The problem of course being how to decide when to flush the cache.
> By making the system less automatic, we expose enough of it that the
> user will obviously know how to "flush the cache" and will hopefully
> realize when it might need to be "flushed".

What does "less automatic" mean?

There are two separate issues:

1) How to update the cache:
   a) rm ~/.emacs.d/cache/some-hypothetical-other-command.el
   b) or M-x generate-and-save-that-slow-code
2) When to update the cache.  I think this has already been discussed:
   when the user chooses font with different charset.  It seems enough
   to let the user decide.