Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 11:56:00 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Does there have to be generated code involved? I was
>> thinking it could be static code acting on generated and
>> cached data.
>
> Why does it matter?

Observe ...

Situation: You want to do this, f(x) = y.

Problem: f(x) is expensive to compute.

Solution: Compute it ONCE, then store f = ((x y) ...) in
a cache data file, so next time f(x) = y is needed, instead of
computing f(x) again search the data file - search, which
_isn't_ expensive.

>> Do they really? My ~/.emacs.d/var contains many files and
>> I am not bothered with them and I know I can afford to
>> lose them.
>
> I said users, not all of the users including Yuri Khan.
> Just witness the frequent discussions regarding whether
> customizations should be written to this or that file.

People don't want auto-insertions by Emacs into files they
edit or view, some very short data file somewhere on the disk
where they never go they don't know/care about, even.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal