Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 06:41:32 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>> Why does it matter?
>>
>> Observe ...
>>
>> Situation: You want to do this, f(x) = y.
>>
>> Problem: f(x) is expensive to compute.
>>
>> Solution: Compute it ONCE, then store f = ((x y) ...) in
>> a cache data file, so next time f(x) = y is needed, instead of
>> computing f(x) again search the data file - search, which
>> _isn't_ expensive.
>
> And I ask again: why does it matter whether you record
> a program or its data

If you store the result of running the program you don't need
to execute the program again next time you need the result,
instead you search for it and retrieve it, simple as that.

Only if it cannot be found do you execute (and then insert the
computed value), so optimally and in practice often execution
only has to be done once.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal