Re: [RFC] Urgrep: New ELPA submission (eventually)

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: [RFC] Urgrep: New ELPA submission (eventually)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 10:05:05 -0700

On 9/12/2022 2:19 AM, Stefan Kangas wrote:
Is `urgrep' a full featured replacement for `rgrep'?  Is there anything
missing, and/or something that will be hard to add?

It does (or should do) everything `rgrep' does. However, I wouldn't really call it a replacement, since it just uses `rgrep' under the hood[1]. It's also only designed to work like `rgrep', so it doesn't handle similar commands like `lgrep' (though maybe it could).

I note that the repository includes an implementation of wgrep.
It would be great to include such functionality in Emacs by default at
some point.

I agree, that would be great. However, note that urgrep-wgrep.el just provides the necessary glue for wgrep to understand Urgrep buffers. You still need to install wgrep for it to do anything.

[1] Technically, it uses `rgrep-default-command'.