Re: Howto fix: package autoload is deprecated

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Howto fix: package autoload is deprecated
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 22:54:35 -0400

T.V Raman [2022-09-14 19:02:42] wrote:
> I note that the NEWS file marks that entry with a "---" to indicate no
> manual update is needed; but we should minimally mark the info node on
> package 'autoload obsolete, and add a short line somewhere on using or
> at least mentioning loaddefs-generate

FWIW, I think the obsoletion(?) of `autoload.el` is a bit rash:
it breaks all existing packages which just called the (formerly)
autoloaded entry points without first doing (require 'autoload).
[ `elpa-admin.el` was luckily spared because it does not call autoload
  functions directly but calls `package-generate-autoloads` instead.  ]

I wish we could actually throw out most of `autoload.el` altogether by
providing "thin" wrappers for the former entry points but using the new
engine under the hood.

        Stefan