Re: master b525f201ba: Allow specifying the color to use in image-elide

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: master b525f201ba: Allow specifying the color to use in image-elide
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 10:21:38 +0300

* Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> [2022-09-15 10:15]:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Shouldn't the default be the background color of the frame?
>
> Yes, I guess that's as good a default as any.

If default is background color of the frame then it means that cut out
rectangle is transparent, there shall be no color.

However, using default background for images related to frame is very
bad idea. People use various themes and theme of Emacs is not related
to the image.

By default you should have background color to be white and
customizable.

Follow the established standard that foreground and background for
image editing shall be defined somewhere beforehand just as in Gimp.

> Hm...  thinking about this for a couple of seconds, it wouldn't be
> that hard to make it do what Gimp does -- that is, put the cut
> pixels into a "clipboard"...  But I think this would probably have
> pretty marginal utility.  Possibly.

That is very useful, not marginal, that is what we do with images. We
cut out something in order to save it.

There shall be cut and copy options, not just cut.

Copy means to select and copy, without removing part of the image.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman