Re: Generate NEWS.XX.Y.html file for Emacs website

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Generate NEWS.XX.Y.html file for Emacs website
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 16:07:12 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 01:39:44 -0700
>
> > [P]lease describe what is needed (which commands and packages, and how
> > to use them) to produce this HTML version.
>
> The command is:
>
>     ./src/emacs -l admin/admin.el -f make-news-html-file
>     mv etc/NEWS.XX.Y.html $EMACS_WEBROOT/news
>     cd $EMACS_WEBROOT
>     cvs commit -m "Update NEWS.XX.Y.html" news/NEWS.XX.Y.html
>
> Please see `make-news-html-file' in admin/admin.el for more details.

I see that you changed admin.el on master, which means Emacs 28.x will
be unable to use this?

In any case, if we want the above to be part of updating the Emacs Web
site and the on-line manuals, those commands will need to be part of
the scripts that are used for those jobs, or maybe a separate script.

> > Also, how will this HTML version be maintained, after it is produced.
>
> The easiest option is to just leave the old generated HTML files alone
> and update them only if absolutely necessary.

I meant to ask how will we keep them under VCS (CVS in this case).

> But it'd be better if we could generate HTML versions of all etc/NEWS.*
> files whenever we make a new release.

Each time we make a new release, or just once?

> I didn't yet look into this, so I don't know how realistic this is,
> but I have a hunch that it's doable.  Maybe we will only be able to
> do it for releases newer than Emacs 21 (or something) though.

Do we have links for those older NEWS files on the Web site?  If not,
I see no point in generating NEWS in HTML format for old releases.