Re: Generate NEWS.XX.Y.html file for Emacs website

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Generate NEWS.XX.Y.html file for Emacs website
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 21:42:26 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 13:45:31 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> >> The easiest option is to just leave the old generated HTML files alone
> >> and update them only if absolutely necessary.
> >
> > I meant to ask how will we keep them under VCS (CVS in this case).
>
> I might be missing some context here, because I don't think I understand
> what you're asking.  Do we need to do anything else besides copying them
> in place (to "news/NEWS.NN.Y.html") and running "cvs update"?

You need to add it to CVS first and commit, right?

My question was would we maintain the HTML NEWS files in CVS together
with the rest of the Web pages, or will we do something else?

> >> I didn't yet look into this, so I don't know how realistic this is,
> >> but I have a hunch that it's doable.  Maybe we will only be able to
> >> do it for releases newer than Emacs 21 (or something) though.
> >
> > Do we have links for those older NEWS files on the Web site?  If not,
> > I see no point in generating NEWS in HTML format for old releases.
>
> The only benefit I see is that you could then edit the URL to visit the
> pages for older releases.  I think Karl Fogel pointed out this use case,
> and it's definitely something I have done in the past too.

The Web site only has announcements going back to v27.1; the versions
before that point to an email announcement.  So I think there's no
reason to have HTML versions of NEWS for versions older than v27.1.