Re: Generate NEWS.XX.Y.html file for Emacs website

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Generate NEWS.XX.Y.html file for Emacs website
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 08:22:01 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 16:08:07 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > It still included NEWS for Emacs 28.1.  I thought we wanted to delete
> > those, leaving just the news of the single release?
>
> The idea came up to just have a single page per major version, which
> incidentally simplified generating the files.  (I was particularly happy
> about the latter.)

I understand, but I don't think it's TRT.  At the very least there
should be a prominent separator between the current release and the
previous ones, because it's all too easy to mistakenly go to those
older sections thinking they belong to the current release.

See, this is exactly why I said from the get-go that we should only
have NEWS for major releases -- that we will show the humongous NEWS
for minor releases (because it's easy), and people will get confused.

> That's why I added the headlines for the versions, and also anchors so
> we would link to:
>
>     https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/news/NEWS.28.html#28.1
>     https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/news/NEWS.28.html#28.2

I only know that I quickly found myself crossing the line.  And I'm
supposed to know this file almost by heart.

> > Also, is it possible not to number the items?  The Emacs 28.2 NEWS are
> > short, so it doesn't matter much, but for a major release the numbers
> > get to ridiculous values, IMO.  Moreover, people will start reporting
> > issues referencing these numbers, and we will have to reverse-engineer
> > them back to NEWS items.
>
> I think we can remove the numbers.  I only kept them because it felt
> easier to navigate such a large file with them, but I'm happy either way.
>
> (The change would just be one liner to the org header.)

Thanks, let's do it, then.

> > Get ready for bug reports...
>
> Of course.  No good deed goes unpunished.  ;-)

None whatsoever.