Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu

From: Bob Rogers
Subject: Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 12:25:17 -0700

   From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
   Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 17:53:07 +0000

   Bob Rogers <rogers@rgrjr.com> writes:

   > A quick Web search for "emacs cheat sheet" turns up the "GNU Emacs
   > Reference Card" as the first hit -- followed by a bunch of others.  And
   > it occurs to me that, for a real newbie, a cheat sheet in a browser
   > window might be easier to work with than one within emacs itself.

   I might just be too young and lack the concentration that pre-gen-z
   people had that reference card always appeared too overwhelming for me.

Honestly, I think it was less a matter of concentration and more a
matter of memory for us oldsters.  In the days of terminals with crappy
bandwidth, a paper sheet beside you would save you from having to use
that precious bandwidth on emacs help commands, which were necessarily
just as slow as everything else.  If you had good memory, you were
golden; if not, you checked the cheat sheet; if you couldn't find it
there, you tried the help commands.

   I guess my suggestion isn't much better, it is the same thing just less
   of it...

FWIW, a friend and I put together a cheat sheet [1] for some total newbs
forced to use emacs for a three-week class.  We tried to make it less
intimidating by making it more focused and organizing it carefully.

                                        -- Bob

[1]  http://www.rgrjr.com/emacs/emacs_cheat.html (may be dated)