Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation

From: tomas
Subject: Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 06:29:56 +0200

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 03:53:08PM +0000, Gregory Heytings wrote:

> > > The focus-follows-mouse policy is indeed superior for advanced
> > > users, but I think it must be admitted that it isn't appropriate for
> > > regular users [...]

I wouldn't put that in a hierarchy like that. It's just how accustomed
the user is to a set of UI conventions. Besides, that makes your
hypothetical "regular user" identical with the "windows user", which
is a sneaky way of cementing Microsoft's supremacy. Don't let us do
their job for them. They are unfortunately good enough at it without
us helping :)

One could argue that "modern Windows" with its several layers of
UI "languages" is only for "advanced users". You have to know that
the first click on an "old" Windows app does nothing but bring
the focus to that one (e.g. Terminal), whereas a "modern" app (a
browser for example) goes wild on the first click. For me, very
much advanced indeed (I keep looking for harmless places on some
wacky web page to click on to be able to type there).

> > Though this is the raise-on-focus option, which is independent from
> > focus-follows-mouse vs. click-to-focus.

You are right, Andreas -- I do appreciate both.

> It depends on how you look at it, I guess.  I would rather present it as a
> sub-option:
>
> 1. click-to-focus (default behavior on Windows and macOS)
>
> 2. focus-follows-mouse (traditional behavior on X11)
>
> 2.1. raise-on-click (default)
>
> 2.2. raise-on-focus

Theoretically, of course, one might conceive click-to-focus /without/
raise-on-focus. But I haven't seen that for a long time.

Cheers