Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 10:59:26 +0200

> Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi all, João,
>>
>> Now that we're getting closer to merging eglot, I think it is our last
>> chance to (re-)consider that "eglot" is not the ideal name.  It has some
>> charm, of course, but it is quite non-descriptive and it's hard (read:
>> impossible) to understand what it does based on the name alone.[1]
>
> I can only agree.  Especially because there are a number of packages
> starting with "el...", which makes misreading the package name as
> "elgot" very easy (which is still how I pronounce the package when
> speaking to this day).
>
>> As for names, lsp-mode would be the obvious choice, but some other
>> package has occupied that prefix (too bad).  I therefore propose
>> renaming it to elsp-mode and using the elsp-* prefix for it.

I like elsp, so much so that my play-fork of eglot is named exactly
that[0].

>> At the very least, we should consider adding some alias, like
>> `start-lsp', and/or `lsp-start'.[2]
>
> I think that even using the word "lsp" suffers from the same issue, as a
> lot of people still have no idea what LSP is (even if they are using
> it).  I don't have a better suggestion but maybe mentioning the word
> "intelligence" or "ide" would be better.

I think referring to it as an integration with lsp by its name should be
just fine.  It is exactly that, and why not refer to it like the rest of
the ecosystem?  As a tangent I remember the discussions we had here on
tree-sitter, and whether it should be called ts, treesit, tree-sitter
etc.  I don't understand why referring to it by what it actually is is a
problem.  In this case, elsp, or elsp-mode seems like the obvious
choice, considering that the better name already is taken.  In addition,
neither LSP or tree-sitter looks like tech that will vanish the next
week, so relying on users learning what it is in time should be fine,
IMO.

Theo

[0]: https://git.sr.ht/~theo/elsp