Re: [ELPA] New package: use-package

From: Payas Relekar
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: use-package
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 15:43:11 +0530

>>> 1. Get use-package in ELPA
>>> 2. Complete all documentation
>>> 3. Prepare documentation in texinfo
>>>    Will cross that bridge when 2 is done.
>
> While we are at it, is there a rationale for this order?  I mean, there
> is no hurry, right? My misunderstanding was that the order was 2 -> 3 ->
> 1.  Or are you planning to have use-package ready for Emacs 29?

If you mean merging use-package into emacs.git, that will definitely not
be happening (at least if I'm the only one working on it).

As for the order rationale, getting use-package to ELPA means less
friction and more users can try it out, more feedback, more eyeballs,
basically.

Ultimate aim here is to make use-package to emacs.git, so users have
use-package available without any effort. ELPA is just a step in that
direction.

1 -> 2 -> 3 is also how Eglot went about and it worked quite well for it.

>From my understanding, ELPA has less stringent requirements for
documentation and testing compared to core. Since I cannot commit enough
time to complete all the tasks before expected 29 branch-off, ELPA is a
good compromise IMO.