Re: Adding use-package to core

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Adding use-package to core
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 15:46:28 +0000

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> I cannot evaluate this, but isn't use-package a relatively stable
>> package, that is mostly being bug-fixed?  There really aren't that many
>> new features being added all the time, so this might not be that
>> important.  Or am I mistaken?
>
> I don't think you're wrong, however I don't see any clear benefits to
> making it a :core package as compared to just adding it as a normal
> package, as long as it's developed externally.  It's less work, and
> seems to be good enough for org-mode, for example.
>
> But you're right that it might not be that important.  Either or works.

I just checked elpa-packages, assuming that the modus-themes were
externally synchronised, but apparently this isn't the case.  Maybe we
could take a look at discussion from when Modus was merged into the core,
to find arguments pro and contra.

>> No, we have recently decided to scrap that documentation source in
>> favour of the documentation generated on elpa.gnu.org -- that is if I
>> understood everything correctly.
>
> OK, thanks.  I now did my homework and read the related threads (sorry
> for not doing that first).

No problem.

> 1. Does that mean that it is actually preferred to make all changes
>    directly in use-package.texi now?

That is my understanding

> 2. Should use-package.org just be scrapped, then?  (I guess that, if the
>    answer is yes, we should first export the latest version of that file
>    to use-package.texi, and then continue from there.)

That would follow.

> 3. Payas mentioned working on the texinfo sources.  What's the status of
>    that work?  I'm ready to get started, but it seems better if we can
>    avoid doing the same work twice, so maybe I should base it on his
>    latest version?

That I cannot say.

>> How does Org-mode distinguish between @key, @kbd, @code and @var?
>
> See org-setup.org, org.org and the generated file org.texi.  Basically
> they use org-mode macros to add texinfo markup.

Oh, that is interesting.  Perhaps this would work too, my experience
with org->texi has been dissatisfactory but limited.