Re: Adding use-package to core

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Adding use-package to core
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 09:31:11 +0200

> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> Cc: John Wiegley <johnw@gnu.org>,  Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com>,
>  Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,  emacs-devel
>  <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 07:07:47 +0000
>
> Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> I'm entirely in support of the code and its development moving directly
> >> into
> >> core. Whichever best supports the Emacs developers and the needs of the
> >> community, since it is more than likely that future work will be carried
> >> out
> >> by others. I'm ready to hand it off in whatever way is desired by the team
> >> here.
> >
> > IMHO, for that to make sense, someone capable would have to volunteer to
> > maintain it on our side.  If we don't have such a volunteer, it makes
> > more sense to me to keep development external for now.
> >
> > If we see a need to move development fully into core in the future, we
> > can always do that, but the reverse is harder.
>
> I agree, a transitory stage where use-package is still maintained
> externally sounds like the safer bet for now.

I don't share Stefan's fears.  If the only issue with moving
use-package to core is that someone must step forward to take the
responsibility for maintaining it, I think we can move it into core
without fear.  I see no reason for making a dedicated maintainer for
use-package a prerequisite for importing it, given what John says
about its stability.  It's a non-issue.