Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 12:53:42 +0100

On Sat, Nov 5, 2022 at 7:45 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> Why do you need to do that?  What's the problem with having the
> eln-cache under your ~/.emacs.d/?

There's no problem. It's a matter of taste.

> If this testing is for the purposes of Emacs development, then my
> suggestion is to have a separate build configured without native
> compilation support.  That's what I do.

I prefer to use just one build.

> So it's just a matter of getting used to using the alias, and will be
> solved with time.

Yep.

> I disagree.  We have too many knobs already, so adding a new one
> without a good reason would be a mistake in the long run.

In fact, my thinking yesterday was "-Q should stop native compilation...Wait, I bet
this was already discussed and rejected", and so I stumbled upon this thread and
read or perused its several hundred messages. Believe me, I'm not *proposing* any
change. I'm just telling Lars that I agree with him that this fits under -Q.