Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 14:12:03 +0100

On Sat, Nov 5, 2022 at 1:44 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> Well, we'll have to disagree.  The -Q switch is documented as
> disabling various things that happen at startup, specifically loading
> stuff that changes the defaults.

Yeah, well, there's --no-splash ;-)

> I see no reason to change what -Q means, even though some people, for
> reasons I cannot grasp, consider JIT native compilation to be
> "unusual".

I don't consider it unusual, except that in my build, if I enter Emacs, load something
that triggers native compilation, and exit quickly, the subprocesses crash (I get
invitations to "connect with gdb and debug them", which disappear after a few seconds).
That had me puzzled for a while.

> Suppose you start "emacs -Q" where some of the *.el files were already
> compiled into the corresponding *.eln files, would you then expect
> "emacs -Q" not to use those *.eln files, and instead to load the *.elc
> files?  If yes, why?  If not, how does this differ from when you
> invoke "emacs -Q" and the *.eln files do not yet exist, but are
> produced when Emacs loads the corresponding package?

while producing them does. In my case, they do just where I don't want them to be.

As you say, we'll have to agree to disagree. I admit the issue is nuanced and there's no
single solution that will please everyone.