Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 14:44:24 +0200

> From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 12:53:42 +0100
> Cc: larsi@gnus.org, akrl@sdf.org, rlb@defaultvalue.org,
>       monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, david@tethera.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> In fact, my thinking yesterday was "-Q should stop native compilation...Wait,
> I bet
> this was already discussed and rejected", and so I stumbled upon this thread
> and
> read or perused its several hundred messages. Believe me, I'm not *proposing*
> any
> change. I'm just telling Lars that I agree with him that this fits under -Q.

Well, we'll have to disagree.  The -Q switch is documented as
disabling various things that happen at startup, specifically loading
stuff that changes the defaults.  Native compilation is not in that
class, exactly like support for image files or GnuTLS aren't.  It is
part of the built Emacs, and is thus part of its default operation.  I
see no reason to change what -Q means, even though some people, for
reasons I cannot grasp, consider JIT native compilation to be
"unusual".

Suppose you start "emacs -Q" where some of the *.el files were already
compiled into the corresponding *.eln files, would you then expect
"emacs -Q" not to use those *.eln files, and instead to load the *.elc
files?  If yes, why?  If not, how does this differ from when you
invoke "emacs -Q" and the *.eln files do not yet exist, but are
produced when Emacs loads the corresponding package?