Re: feature/package-vc has been merged

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: feature/package-vc has been merged
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 15:58:11 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> > And the "linked back" means a symlink? or something else?
>>
>> Right.  If the package specification has a custom lisp directory, clone
>> the directory elsewhere and will then symlink [actual repo] + [lisp
>> dir]
>> into ~/.config/emacs/elpa (or whatever directory is used).
>>
>> > Anyway, I think all of this should be explained in the doc string.
>>
>> Will do.
>
> And symlinks could be problematic on MS-Windows.  Maybe allow to copy
> instead.

That I did not know.  The issue with copying is that you loose vc
information.

When do symlinks create issues under windows?

Perhaps there is a better way to solve this issue in general?  I would
have to look at how complicated it would be to make package.el load a
subdirectory instead of the immediate directory under "elpa".