Re: feature/package-vc has been merged

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: feature/package-vc has been merged
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 21:03:42 +0200

> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  rms@gnu.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 18:35:10 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > And if you think many do, why not clone the repository directly into
> > ~/.emacs.d/elpa/?
>
> Because that won't take care of scraping for autoloads, byte
> compilation and installing missing dependencies.

I don't see why.  Please elaborate how having the repository inside
~/.emacs.d gets in the way of these activities.

> >> All of this would only apply to packages with external `:lisp-dir's,
> >> which doesn't immediately interest a user/developer.  Having to keep
> >> this in mind would pointlessly expose an internal detail of package-vc
> >> that I'd like to avoid.
> >
> > But it is us who introduced and support :lisp-dir.  If we think it's a
> > leaky abstraction, we could decide not to support it.
>
> You mean as in only allowing for packages to distribute lisp code in the
> root directory of the repository?  That would pointlessly break too many
> packages that decide to structure their file hierarchy for whatever
> reason.

Is that what :lisp-dir is about? then the doc strings in package-vc.el
doesn't even hint about that.  In particular, there's nothing there
about the root directory of the repository.  (Not that I understand
why having Lisp files in a subdirectory of the repository would be a
problem that needs an explicit configuration of the package, probably
missing something else again.)