Re: feature/package-vc has been merged

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: feature/package-vc has been merged
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 12:57:46 -0500

>> It still seems more elegant to encode what the lisp directory is in the
>> package description.
>
> You consider manual configuration of a package to be more elegant than
> automatically finding the directories to put on load-path?

Note that we want a single description per package, which can be shared
by (Non)GNU ELPA and `package-vc`, so this imposes
additional constraints.

Also automation is nice, but it has a cost (e.g. many packages have
ELisp files in both a `lisp/` subdirectory and a `test/` subdirectory:
which one should we pick?), and since packages where ELisp files are in
subdirectories are a fairly small fraction, I decided for (Non)GNU ELPA
that it was cleaner to use a manual config than to try and be
(too) clever.

        Stefan