Re: feature/package-vc has been merged

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: feature/package-vc has been merged
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 19:05:54 +0200

> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  rms@gnu.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 16:42:37 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> That I did not know.  The issue with copying is that you loose vc
> >> information.
> >
> > Why do they need VC information inside ~/.emacs.d/ ?
>
> While not strictly necessary, a big part of the motivation of package-vc
> is the ability to easily work on packages that are usable as regular
> packages.  If I M-x find-function into a ~/.emacs.d/elpa/ and make a few
> changes, having to distinguish between packages between packages with
> :lisp-dir attributes and those without seems unnatural.

Sorry, I don't follow: what does find-function etc. have to do with
having the VCS data inside ~/.emacs.d/elpa/?  By "vc information" you
meant what Git stores in the .git directory, yes?  I'm asking why it's
important to have that in ~/.emacs.d/elpa/.

Or maybe I don't understand what you mean by "work on packages that
are usable as regular packages"?