Re: Making `eglot-server-programs' a custom variable?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Making `eglot-server-programs' a custom variable?
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 17:19:23 +0200

> From: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 12:07:30 +0000
> Cc: arash@gnu.org, theophilusx@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>  > That said, I have no objection to converting eglot-server-programs into
>  > a defcustom, if someone will commit to translating and maintaining all
>  > the complex combination of options into "widget" form.  I don't have the
>  > time or inclination for this task, but maybe someone has.
>
>  It is not a good idea to have a defcustom whose value should be such a
>  complex data structure.
>
> I agree, but a command is a not a solution IMO: this belongs in the
> user's configuration file.

??? The user init file can call the command, cannot it?

And adding a command is not a replacement for having a variable:
people who know enough Lisp can do what they want with the variable.
The command is proposed as a replacement for a defcustom, because
interactively customizing such a complex variable with a very long
value is problematic at best.

> A good docstring (can it  be improved?) containing good descriptions
> and some ready-made recipes is the current and best approach to these
> things.

Sorry, but I disagree.  No doc string can reasonably teach users
advanced Lisp.  That's a non-starter.