Re: Making `eglot-server-programs' a custom variable?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Making `eglot-server-programs' a custom variable?
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 17:35:55 +0200

From: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 12:07:30 +0000
Cc: arash@gnu.org, theophilusx@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org

  > That said, I have no objection to converting eglot-server-programs into
  > a defcustom, if someone will commit to translating and maintaining all
  > the complex combination of options into "widget" form.  I don't have the
  > time or inclination for this task, but maybe someone has.

  It is not a good idea to have a defcustom whose value should be such a
  complex data structure.

I agree, but a command is a not a solution IMO: this belongs in the
user's configuration file.

??? The user init file can call the command, cannot it?

And adding a command is not a replacement for having a variable:
people who know enough Lisp can do what they want with the variable.
The command is proposed as a replacement for a defcustom, because
interactively customizing such a complex variable with a very long
value is problematic at best.

If you just have a command (to be used interactively, right?), it will only affect the value in the current session.

defcustom provides a facility to persist the changes between sessions.

I suppose we could have both a defcustom, and a command or two to modify the value.