Re: Adding use-package to core

From: xenodasein
Subject: Re: Adding use-package to core
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 19:42:47 +0100 (CET)

Nov 13, 2022, 18:05 by stefankangas@gmail.com:
> Well, of course more people have had the chance to use it. This has
> helped build a fairly sizable org-mode community.

I see, so significantly more people compared to before became familiar with
it when it was included in the default release; how do we know this?

If the implication here is that many a users don't get the chance to learn
about great packages in the wild, even when they are in ELPA, when these
packages are not in the default release; then this is a different problem
to address, maybe by including some kind of digest on the state of things
like Sascha Chua's site at release would help.

> That's not my experience, FWIW. As a very heavy org-mode user with a
> decent number of customizations, I've almost always been more than happy
> with the stable version of org-mode shipped with Emacs.

Again is there any way we can compare what ratio of its users prefer the one
in the default release, genuinely asking?

I say (if there isn't some nuance I'm not seeing like reaching a much wider
audience) it is almost always more preferable to have the chance to
M-x package-install the latest (stable or devel) org at will, as this is
one of the best features of Emacs, being an interpreter environment itself.

> I also can't remember having experienced any issues with installing a
> new version of org-mode on top of the built-in one. package.el
> certainly has no trouble with it, AFAIK, and if there are any issues
> they are merely bugs that should be fixed.

True, still it would be better to avoid this wholesale.  Org is a
different kind of beast however, so I can't say I'm informed enough
to decide if it would be better for it not to be in default release
of Emacs.  Best would be to improve the interaction of built-in vs
installed business.