Re: Tentative release schedule for Emacs 29.1

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tentative release schedule for Emacs 29.1
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 15:09:15 +0200

> From: Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com>,  Kyle Meyer
>  <kyle@kyleam.com>
> Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 05:43:14 +0100
>
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > We're aiming to cut the new release branch in late November.
>
> Is it still the plan?

Yes.

> Ideally, a 2-3 weeks delay between Emacs 29.1 and Org 9.6 would help
> us fix new bugs and release 9.6.1 to be included in Emacs 29.1.

Sorry, I don't follow.  The schedule above is for cutting the release
branch, which will start the Emacs 29.1 release cycle and will be
followed by a period of pretest.  When that preset ends and Emacs 29.1
will be released is not yet known beyond some general hopes.

So why are you worried about the Org release, and why are you talking
about fixing bugs after Emacs 29.1 is released? why not fix them while
Emacs 29.1 is in pretest?

> Given that delay and given Emacs release expectations, what would be
> the best time to release Org?
>
> If we can release 9.6 in late november and fix bugs until mid-december
> then release and sync 9.6.1, that'd be great.

Late November is just when we cut the emacs-29 release branch, so I
don't see how the release of Org 9.6 could be related to that in any
way.  What am I missing?