Re: best practices for implementing Emms configuration

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: best practices for implementing Emms configuration
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 10:46:29 -0500

>> This is better IMO.  Just use Custom.  The user can set 'custom-file'
>> to redirect the extra line to somewhere else.
> To be clear though: the goal isn't to present the user with one of the
> customize-group interfaces; I don't use them and wouldn't force anyone
> else to.

To be clear, when I say "use Custom" I mean, let Custom do the saving
for you.  That doesn't imply using the Custom UI.

It just means that all the customization needs to be done by setting
vars defined with `defcustom` (and calling something like
`customize-mark-to-save` to tell Custom whats going on) and then saving
the end result with something like `custom-save-all`.

> The idea is to tell the user to invoke "M-x emms-setup", have the user
> answer a few y-or-n-p questions, and write the configuration based on
> that.

Yes, I understand you want to have your own UI for that (sounds like
something occasionally called "a wizard"; you might want to look for
other "wizards" in ELisp).

        Stefan