Re: emacs-29 b8d2ec920f: Revert "Improve last change to xfaces.c" (05ece

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: emacs-29 b8d2ec920f: Revert "Improve last change to xfaces.c" (05ece1eb8b)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 10:48:59 +0800

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:
>
>> branch: emacs-29
>> commit b8d2ec920f37f5d77d32440eefc97dd5e8c2c7dc
>> Author: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
>> Commit: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
>>
>>     Revert "Improve last change to xfaces.c" (05ece1eb8b)
>>
>>     * src/xfaces.c: Revert 05ece1eb8b.
>>
>>     See https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59347#331.
>
> Don't do that!  You did not answer ANY part of what I said.

Btw, for posterity's sake, I undid this revert for two reasons:

  - unsetting the "extra" attribute is not safe on the Haiku port.
  - the bitmask variable is a real nusiance for anyone trying to
    debug Emacs or change the layout of the font attribute index
    enumerator.

Just because a bug has been closed does NOT mean the change in it is no
longer subject to scrutiny.  I don't follow bug reports that aren't
related to X, which means I (and possibly many others) only see changes
as they arrive on emacs-diffs.  Which means that by the time the bug is
closed, no, the discussion is not ``over'', and other people still have
a chance to make changes to problems they see as they see them (a
bitmask depending on the internal layout of an enum exposed to Lisp is
definitely one such problem, so is unsetting `:extra'.)