Re: Adding the `prescient` packages to NonGNU ELPA?

From: Okamsn
Subject: Re: Adding the `prescient` packages to NonGNU ELPA?
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 01:32:37 +0000

On 2022-12-17 18:39 UTC, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Is there a way to fix this while still declaring the extension packages'
>> requirements?
>
> Usually the way we expect this to work is:
>
> - the user install prescient
> - the user installs company/corfu/younameit
> - it just works
>
> Sample (and incomplete) patch below (a lot of it is unrelated,
> e.g. I make it use `add-function` instead of manually saving the old
> function and restoring it, and I move the "turn off the mode" to the
> beginning instead of the weird recursive call which would inevitably
> mess up anyone using `<foo>-prescient-mode-hook` as well as confuse
> Custom's tracking of whether the mode was set (and whether pragmatically
> or not)).
>

>          Stefan

OK, I misunderstood what was being said about `require`. I will make
that change.

Would you please explain why one would want to use `add-function`
instead of directly setting `corfu-sort-function`, since setting the
variable is the intended use? Do you think that storing the old value is
insufficient?

Also, you suggest using `message` to warn that `corfu` isn't found.
Would use of the function `user-error` be incorrect for this?

Thank you.