Re: [nongnu] main 385623dca6 2/2: * elpa-packages (notmuch): New package

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [nongnu] main 385623dca6 2/2: * elpa-packages (notmuch): New package.
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 08:45:14 +0000

Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> writes:

> For background: currently notmuch.el is published to MELPA and
> apparently a lot of users like to install it that way.  But one
> consequence is that users often end up with a newer version of
> notmuch.el than the version of the command line tools, and this causes
> spurious bug reports, etc..  So it would be good for upstream, and
> users, to have a version on NonGNU ELPA which matched upstream's stable
> releases.

Isn't notmuch one of those programs that usually distribute the Emacs
Lisp code along with the package (or as a dependency) that you would
install using your system file manager?  Or in other words, how
interoperable is notmuch.el with different versions of notmuch?  Does
the current build from NonGNU ELPA work even if I have a old release?