Re: [nongnu] main 385623dca6 2/2: * elpa-packages (notmuch): New package

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [nongnu] main 385623dca6 2/2: * elpa-packages (notmuch): New package.
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 15:48:33 +0000

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

> Just use git clone --depth, as explained in the manual page.

>From git-clone(1):

  --depth <depth>
      Create a shallow clone with a history truncated to the specified
      number of commits. Implies --single-branch unless
      --no-single-branch is given to fetch the histories near the tips of
      all branches. If you want to clone submodules shallowly, also pass
      --shallow-submodules.

Yes, but that looses the Git history, beyond the depth you indicate
using the argument.  Furthermore, you don't get a subtree but still
clone all the unrelated files.  Naturally the revision hash also
changes.  This is a perpendicular solution to what we want.

We want to strip away all files and commits in a monorepo that have no
relation to an emacs package, located in some sub-directory.