Re: MinGW build on master fails with Error 127

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MinGW build on master fails with Error 127
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 17:50:07 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Cc: Loreno Heer <helohe@bluewin.ch>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 16:31:57 +0100
>
> Please note that MinGW-w64 and MSYS2 (which includes MINGW-packages) are
> different projects. MSYS2 builds, packages and distributes MinGW-w64.
> MSYS2 decided to bump _WIN32_WINNT in our build scripts, which has
> implications for Emacs (see below) but that's independent of what
> MinGW-w64 actually, officially supports.

So what are the details?  Which versions of Windows does MSYS2
support, and which ones does MinGW64 support?  And if MinGW64 is about
to drop Windows versions older than 8.1 soon, when will that happen?

I'm asking because I want to update our documentation with this
information, to avoid other users being surprised by these subtle
issues.

Thanks.