Re: [nongnu] main 385623dca6 2/2: * elpa-packages (notmuch): New package

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [nongnu] main 385623dca6 2/2: * elpa-packages (notmuch): New package.
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 11:09:16 +0000

Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Wed 21 Dec 2022 at 11:03PM -05, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>

>>> This was discussed back when I wanted to add a few modes developed in
>>> mono-repos (erlang was one example, cmake is another).  I had managed to
>>> make this work using filter-branch IIRC, but we never set up a mirror.
>>> Perhaps we should tackle that again, even if the solution is suboptimal
>>
>> I think we should yes.
>>
>>> and host the filtered repositories on savannah.nongnu.org.
>>
>> Or the filtered result could just live in nongnu.git/elpa.git.

Oh, this is even better.  I recall there being some issue with this
approach, but if you think it is ok, we can add support right into
elpa-admin.el.

> Right, the external/foo branch can just be the new history.
>
>>> I could set up a similar structure to nongnu.git and have each
>>> repository we are interested in mirrored on their own branches that
>>> nongnu.git:elpa-packages would target.
>>
>> I was thinking of doing the work within `elpaa--fetch`, actually.
>
> I'd like to work on this.  How far did you get, Philip?  How can I help?

Not particularly far, I had a little script I don't think I'd be able to
find again.  I believe this SO answer was my main tip:

     https://stackoverflow.com/a/52269934