emacs-erc

Re: bug#54458: 27.2; erc-dcc-get: Re-entering top level after C stack ov

From: Fernando de Morais
Subject: Re: bug#54458: 27.2; erc-dcc-get: Re-entering top level after C stack overflow
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 14:20:47 -0300

"J.P." <jp@neverwas.me> writes:

> Fernando,
>
> Please forget about the packet-capture thing. Setting that up and poring
> over the results is kind of a drag. As far as trying out patches,
> there's certainly no rush. While I'm sure you're probably all set,
> others wanting to play along may need a hand. I'm no Arch Linux wiz, but
> these steps have worked for me in the past:

Hello J.P.,

Sorry for the late response.

I applied your latest patch (0002) and file transfers larger than
120~150 MB, as well as much larger ones, completed successfully!

The only different behaviors I noticed in Emacs was the fact that it
stops responding when transfers go beyond a certain percentage of
completion (I couldn't be sure of the number, but in my experiments it
happens above 45%) and the impossibility of transferring more than one
file at the same time.

Other than that, transfers go as expected.

Thank you! I'll be using this patched version of `erc-dcc-get-filter'.

···

Mattias Engdegård <mattiase@acm.org> writes:

> Very useful! If I'm reading the stack trace right then someone should
> tell ERC not to send data from a process filter function:

Hi Mattias,

Thank you too, and just like J.P. wrote in his previous message, your
observations have been fundamental to solving the problem!

--
Regards,
Fernando de Morais.