emacs-humanities

[emacs-humanities] Optical Size Adjustment of Variable Fonts in Emacs

From: Oliver Taylor
Subject: [emacs-humanities] Optical Size Adjustment of Variable Fonts in Emacs
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 12:26:19 -0700

Most variable width fonts are optically smaller (meaning they look smaller)
than their monospace counterparts at the same point size, even those that are
designed to be used together.

The relationship between the default, variable- and fixed-width faces is
somewhat complex and doesn’t easily allow you to optically correct your font
sizes in a way that works with both text-scale-adjust and in documents with
mixed pitches.

So I’ve created a little minor mode that fixes this problem.

And I’ve written a post[1] describing the problem and how I found the solution,
but before I publish it on my website I wanted to get opinions from this list.

I could, of course, simply post the minor mode and explain what it does, but I
wanted to write a bit of a story that describes how I found the problem, the
various approaches I took, and the solution I created.

Any suggestions for the write-up or the code are welcome.

And, would anyone be interested in helping me create a package from this? I
feel like this is a common problem in need of a solution, and I haven’t seen
other packages that deal with this.

I’ve never created a package before and I’m sure my code could do with a great
deal of improvement/standardization.

[1]
https://github.com/olivertaylor/olivertaylor.github.io/blob/master/notes/20210324_emacs-optical-font-adjustment.org

Please note that the images only really display the problem when displayed at
the correct resolution, and github’s css enlarges them to the width of the
window, so you may need to use a small window to see the problem.