emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Optical Size Adjustment of Variable Fonts in Emac

From: Paul W. Rankin
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Optical Size Adjustment of Variable Fonts in Emacs
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 18:56:40 +1000

>> only integer values are allowed for :height, and where these integer values
>> are rounded.  For example :height 144 is 14, :height 145 to :height 154 is
>> 15, :height 155 is 16, and so forth.
>
> It’s not my experience that only integer values are allowed for :height.
>
> But I have found that I can only scale things up by whole point sizes. So the
> rounding makes sense, I was not aware of that.
>
>> So you cannot have a "slightly larger" font on macOS.
>
> Well, you can adjust by a point size, which works fine for my needs.

From the docs:

     The value can also be floating point or a function, which specifies
     the height relative to an “underlying face” (*note Displaying
     Faces::).  A floating-point value specifies the amount by which to
     scale the height of the underlying face.  A function value is
     called with one argument, the height of the underlying face, and
     returns the height of the new face.  If the function is passed an
     integer argument, it must return an integer.

     The height of the default face must be specified using an integer;
     floating point and function values are not allowed.