emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Mailing list for Fountain Mode

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 12:29:35 +0900

> On Dec 25, 2022, at 12:15, Paul W. Rankin <hello@paulwrankin.com> wrote:
>
> Hello JC! Glad you get some use out of Olivetti.
>
> Regarding Binder, thanks for checking it out and reporting your difficulties.
> It is a failure on the part of the tutorial that it doesn't make clear how to
> start a new project.

The github readme page would be the perfect place to write the 3-4 lines of
instruction people need to get started.

> For your example of a directory of DocBook files simply toggling the sidebar
> either within the directory or a file in the top-level of that directory
> should give a y/n prompt to change the project directory to the current one
> and create a .binder.el file there. If there is no active project (i.e.
> option binder-project-directory is nil, likely your case) there won't be a
> y/n prompt and you'll just receive a message that a .binder.el file was
> created.

I don't remember seeing that message. I'll try again.

> From the sidebar you can type <a> to add a file or <A> to add all files to
> the project (which will populate the .binder.el file). I think only
> non-hidden files are added.

I always forget those mode specific shortcuts. Thank you.

😅

> Regarding one project at a time, I should make the wording more clear. I just
> mean there's only one project *active* at at time. This is because all the
> commands are global.

Ok.

> If you navigate to another directory with a .binder.el file and call a binder
> command (e.g. show the sidebar, navigate project files, etc.) it will prompt
> if you want to switch to that project instead. You can also switch projects
> with <C> in the sidebar.

Ok.

> Let me know if any of that is unclear or you have any other issues. Binder is
> still a bit experimental and given Emacs already has project.el I should
> probably investigate the overlap and whether things can be more integrated.

I was interested in Binder because it takes its inspiration from Scrivener, and
looked simple enough I could wrap my mind around it. I really try to keep away
from project.el because it is way too big :-)

JC

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @jchelary@emacs.ch
https://traductaire-libre.org