Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode on Windows - Putty

From: Wanrong Lin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode on Windows - Putty
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:33:22 -0400

Yes, your understanding is correct (I use that for SSH session into my remote Linux box). The biggest benefit I got from AutoHotKey is now I can use the right Alt key in Putty sessions, since I mapped the right Alt key to the left Alt key. I don't understand why under Putty, a lot of control keys work out of box on editors like "nano", but it is so twisted to have them work in Emacs. As much as I like Emacs, I think people dreaming in "Emacs is (nearly) perfect" need to wake up.

Here is some example key bindings from my emacs config:

--------------
 ;; this is inside my org-mode-hook

;; Alternative key binding for putty. basically Meta is replaced with C-x, Ctrl is
 ;; replaced with C-c

 ;; for M-up/down/left/right
 (define-key org-mode-map [(control x) up] 'org-metaup)
 (define-key org-mode-map [(control x) down] 'org-metadown)
 (define-key org-mode-map [(control x) left] 'org-metaleft)
 (define-key org-mode-map [(control x) right] 'org-metaright)

 ;; for C-up/down/left/right
 (define-key org-mode-map [(control c) up] 'org-shiftup)
 (define-key org-mode-map [(control c) down] 'org-shiftdown)
 (define-key org-mode-map [(control c) left] 'org-shiftleft)
 (define-key org-mode-map [(control c) right] 'org-shiftright)

;; actually, M-return works in putty. So we use "C-x return" to do "M-S return" (local-unset-key (kbd "C-x RET")) ;; originally bound globally to char coding commands
 (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-x RET") 'org-insert-todo-heading)

Attached is my AutoHotKey script.