[Orgmode] Re: Documentation wishlist items

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Documentation wishlist items
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 12:03:10 -0400

Sebastian Rose <address@hidden> writes:

> Bastien <address@hidden> writes:
>> Sebastian Rose <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Here is some kind of outline for such a tutorial.
>>
>> Wow.  That an outline for a full book!
>>
>> And I guess that's what comes at the horizon: an (O-Reilly) book about
>> Org-mode.  It would not compete with the manual as a reference, but it
>> would make it easier to more people to open Org's doors.
>

> OK, let's just start it. I'd like to have the tutorial on
> orgmode.org/worg. But I'm not yet sure about the structure.
>

> Option (A)
>   is, to create an .../worg/the-org-tutorial/index.org, that just
>   contains an index to the chapters. Each chapter goes to a single file
>   in that directory.
>
> Option (B)
>   Put the entire thing into one big file. This has the advantage, that
>   we wouldn't need to create any extra directories on worg:
>   orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/the-org-tutorial.org
>

>   |                            | (A) Multiple files | (B) Monolitic |
>   |----------------------------+--------------------+---------------|
>   | Outlining a skeleton       | -                  | +             |
>   | Restructure                | -                  | +             |
>   | Multiple editors           | +                  | -             |
>   | Distribution (e.g. as PDF) | -                  | +             |
>   | Easy navigation            | +                  | -             |
>   | Sum                        | -1                 | +1            |
>

> Thoughts?

My vote would be for separate files that could also be published as a
monolithic pdf file. I know the possibility of publishing multiple files
as a single book exists in muse, but how would one do that with
org-mode? Is there a directive to publish separate html files and a
monolithic pdf file simultaneously (perhaps via #+INCLUDE directives)?

- Matt