Re: [Orgmode] Re: Added support for "habit tracking"

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Added support for "habit tracking"
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 21:20:13 -0400

On Oct 23, 2009, at 11:24 AM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:

But isn't consistency in the long-run the fact that you have actually *completed* them?

Yes and no. I don't need to always complete them, and yet I could still be consistent. It's optimal to be perfectly consistent, but that's no what's expected.

Missing a deadline is something else entirely, as one imagines there are consequences. Missing a habit is, well, just harder to pin down.

In this case, IMO, a weekly review is a habit, even though it does not happen daily, it still has consistent period to be respected (1 day, every seven days), and a deadline (the very same day). Or habits need to be daily?

I guess it all comes down to whether you just want the graph or not. A weekly review is really something you need to do every week, so it's just a repeating task. I have too have regular repeating tasks for things like downloading bank statements, paying the rent, visiting the dentist, etc. These are tasks which are _each important in themselves_. A habit, on the other hand, is never important in itself. It doesn't matter so much if I miss washing the dishes today. It's the _habit overall which is important_. As long as I wash them more often than not, I'm doing better than if I'd never used Org at all.

The only difference between regular repeating tasks and habits is this:

 1. Habits appear at the bottom of the agenda (by default)
 2. Habits can be removed by hitting K
3. Habits have a little graph, since you need to see consistency over a
    period of time.

Another difference between habits and tasks is this: If I get to the end of my day and there are tasks yet undone, it means I need to schedule them for another day. But if there are habits undone, *I never reschedule them*. Once I reach a point during the day when I know I no longer have time or opportunity to work on my habits, I just hit K and exclude them from the view. What it means is that I'll try again to do them tomorrow.

But since tasks are, in a way, much more self-important, they need to be allocated to a certain day, or given a specific deadline -- whether or not that deadline repeats itself.

John