Re: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] Re: org-babel-R and windows ?

From: Stefan Vollmar
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] Re: org-babel-R and windows ?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:32:22 +0100

Dear Sébastien,
dear Dan,

On 14.01.2010, at 20:39, Sébastien Vauban wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Dan Davison wrote:
>> Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:
> [...]
> So, trying to answer your question, I would split it in two parts:
>
> - calling scripts,
> - calling applications with some data or description.
>
> First case: script written for the shell. Without cygwin, your interpreter is
> `cmd.exe', so pretty limited. And, here, we come back to one question I had
> some weeks ago about which interpreter is chosen when executing the snippet:
> bash, Zsh, etc. Same problem here, with a third possible command interpreter.
>
> Second case: "applications" like R, ditaa, etc. There, I don't see any problem
> for calling them with some data to feed them. The only real condition is that
> the program must be found in the PATH (or the full path to the executable has
> to be given).

I would like to add something which we had to learn the hard way when working
on a platform-independent project with a commandline-interface: the native
commandline in MS Windows (cmd.exe) can only digest input with significantly
fewer characters than the usual shells in Linux and Solaris - and then you get
really strange and unhelpful error messages. The number of characters for
Windows XP is 8191 characters, for older systems (Windows 2000) it is about
2000 characters. This was a showstopper-class problem for us (we worked around
this by putting all previous commandline arguments into an optional parameter
file), much later we found an official Microsoft article on this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830473/EN-US

Warm regards,
 Stefan
--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Max-Planck-Institut für neurologische Forschung