Re: [Orgmode] Header levels and section numbering > 3, in LaTeX export

From: Scot Becker
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Header levels and section numbering > 3, in LaTeX export
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 10:55:23 +0100

Indraneel,

>  Thanks Scot, exactlt what I was looking for, and I was actually
> deliberating on the Tractacus!

Funny.  Glad it looks like it may work.

> I couldn't get easylist to understand the
> \star symbol that orgmode uses. Do you know how to do that?

No.  You might have seen the footnote in the easylist documentation
(on p. 2) which says:

"You might not be happy with the symbols and maybe you'd like to use
another one, or simply have your favorite symbol
as default to avoid remembering such a cumbersome name as 'pilcrow'.
Here's a simple hack that does the job: select the
entire code of the package, and replace all occurrences of Ÿ (<<-- the
pilcrow) with your symbol. Make sure you won't use it in the list for
other purposes, though."

I've not tried this, however.  It would be nice if there were a dead
easy way to get easylist and org-mode to work well together, since the
two are very natural partners.  Let me know if you can make this work.

> And also to skip
> the first 3 stars in a level4 heading (if I want to retain latex's default
> top 3 levels)?

I've never actually gone all the way to making a document
easy-to-publish with Easylist.  I've just manually converted
org-mode's stars to a character Easylist can understand, then manually
wrapped the whole thing in a LaTeX preamble.  The ideal would be to
automate the process, perhaps by using org-babel and putting your
easylist sections in special code blocks. But I've not taken the time
to figure all that out.

Failing that, I bet you could do a halfway hack with minimal amount of
manual work.  For example (if I understand you correctly), you could
make an org document like this:

* Regular org heading
** Subheading
** Here's a third-level heading
STARTLIST
**** My first thesis, which is longer and wordier than it probably should be.
***** Of course it's nothing compared to the length of its supporting arguments
*****  Both of them
**** Here is my second thesis, as convincing as the first
ENDLIST

Org-mode will let you do all of that, just fine.  Then either
manually, or with a temporary latex export hook, do something like
this:

replace STARTLIST with \begin{easylist} and ENDLIST with \end{easylist}
replace '**** ' with '& ' and '***** ' with '&& ' and ****** ' with '&&& ', etc.

If you do it in an export hook, I think you'd want to do it in one
that runs before everything else.  That way org-mode will leave
everthing in your easylist environment alone.  What that will do to
quotation marks and /emphasis/ I don't know.

This should leave you with an easylist which starts at level '1', in a
document which uses org's header levels 1-3 in the normal latex way.
Is that what you want?

Make sure in the preamble, you have \usepackage[ampersand]{easylist}

Let me know if you need help figuring any of this out in detail.
That's just a rough sketch.

Cheers,

Scot