Re: [O] Links in tables and LaTeX export

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: Re: [O] Links in tables and LaTeX export
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 19:36:51 -0400

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >
> From what I gather, Tom is getting additional merge commits every time
> he pulls (which accounts for the extras and the different SHA1). I think
> I used to have that problem, but I don't any more, and I don't remember
> (so what's new?)  how it came about and/or I resolved it. Any ideas
> about that? I may have just deleted the master branch and recreated
> it.

Tom should run
gitk
on his master branch - then the merge commits (if that is what they
are) will be very obvious.

If Tom create even a single commit in the past and then subsequently
added new commits from origin/master with git pull then he'll get an
extra merge commit for everytime he updates.

There is a write up on worg about how to keep local commits on top of
origin/master by rebasing the local commits each time git pull is run.
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#keeping-local-changes-current-with-Org-mode-development

Assuming his has local commits buried in his history somewhere Tom can
'fix' it by doing

  $ git checkout master
  $ git reset --hard origin/master
  $ git cherry-pick <whatever local commits he wants to keep>

so the new commits are on top of origin/master, and set his master
branch to automatically rebase on pulls as described in the link above.

HTH,
--
Bernt