Re: [O] LaTeX export of lists

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] LaTeX export of lists
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 16:11:02 +0100

address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

>>> I probably don't understand your question fully, but it seems obvious to
>>> me that a list can either belong to a paragraph or it can be separate.
>>> I'm not certain why Org-mode would want to choose one over the other.
>>
>> It isn't obvious. For example, in HTML, a list within a paragraph
>> doesn't even make sense[1].
>>
>> There's no harm in it, but you're basically faking Org and its LaTeX
>> exporter, as lists and paragraphs are two distinct entities[2].

[...]

> Aloha Nicolas,
>
> Interesting observations.  Thanks.
>
> The relation seems obvious to me because my model comes from printed
> works, which commonly include enumerated lists typeset within
> paragraphs.
>
> Perhaps given the limitation of the HTML spec and the structure of
> paragraphs in Org-mode it will always be necessary to have the LaTeX
> exporter take care of setting lists inside paragraphs.
>
> Thanks again for your help with this.
>
> All the best,
> Tom

Latex does have the concept of lists within paragraphs in that
paragraph boundaries are defined by blank lines.  So, if you have a
begin{itemize}...end{itemize} with no blank lines before and after, the
list implicitly is part of the enclosing paragraph.

whether lists exported from org should automatically be within
paragraphs or not is unclear.  I personally prefer having them outside
but that's because, in latex, I tend to have 0 paragraph separation with
indented first lines.  If I want a list to look like it's embedded
within a paragraph, I put a \nonindent on the "paragraph" following the
list.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.175.g8478)