Re: [O] How could I mix COMMENT and TODO?

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] How could I mix COMMENT and TODO?
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 21:26:30 -0400

suvayu ali <address@hidden> writes:

> François Pinard <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I would also like to keep my TODO entries for this topic in the same
>> file, and these are usually not to be published either.

> Just use the noexport tag on the parent tree with the TODOs.

> * Tasks                                :noexport:
> ** TODO foo
> ** TODO bar

Excellent!  Thanks a lot for remembering me this feature (I read about
it a while ago, then forgot).  It even works fine if we directly use:

> * TODO foo                             :noexport:
> * TODO bar                             :noexport:

I much prefer this :noexport: tag to the COMMENT feature, and I changed
them all.  I also fully re-merged my split files, so everything is now
in its proper place.  Happiness! :-)

François

P.S. A tiny chat follows.

In my very first tries with Org, a few months ago, I put all Org files
into the agenda, to discover that Org was very, very slow.  So, I
changed it all and collected all agenda and TODO into three files only,
holding lots of links to all other Org files where the information
really was.  Org recovered all its speed.  And besides, to repair the
lost search capabilities, I kludged M-x rgrep so it could search all Org
files and "reveal" contents when visiting hits.  Well, the "reveal" does
not always work, but yet, the quicker search is constantly useful to me.

Currently, having put TODOs back in their proper Org files and declaring
them as agenda files, 38 agenda files are taken out from 360 Org files.
Even if slightly less speedy than 3 agenda files, this is still very
bearable: Org does not crawl.  The way Org handles "org-agenda-files" as
a string naming a file is really convenient to me, it eases the writing
of external programs acting on them all.  All in all, very satisfactory!