Re: [O] R code block produces only partial output

From: Andreas Kiermeier
Subject: Re: [O] R code block produces only partial output
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 10:41:34 +0930

On 6 August 2014 03:35, Charles Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
​[snip]​
org-babel-R-evaluate-session uses

 (string-match "^\\([ ]*[>+\\.][ ]?\\)+\\([[0-9]+\\|[ ]\\)" line)

to find the start of R output in the session.

This does not match the `          0', but matches the `         .6'
in the output you show above, so if that had been in a session, all the
output up to and including the '.' before the '6' would be clipped
by the following

  (substring line (match-end 1))

as Andreas output showed.

Deleting the "\\." fixes Andreas case, but what are the circumstances
requiring the  "\\." ?

Thanks Charles for finding this.

I do use R quite a bit, and I can only think of ">
​ ​
" (at beginning of the line) as the command prompt, along with "+
​ ​
" (at beginning of the line) as a continuation prompt for multi-line commands. I don't know what
 ​ ​
"\" or
​ ​
"." provide
​ (I don't think this has changed over the various R versions)​

​.

​A ​
complication might be that the user can change the command prompt (and continuation prompt) to something else they like (
 ​see here: ​
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-intro.html#Customizing-the-environment
 ​)​.

​For the time being I've taken the "\\." out of my local version of ob-R.el (then byte compiled and loaded) and it seems to work fine.

​Maybe this is a question for the ESS developers who use R extensively and probably might be able to provide some more definitive guidance on this than I can?

​Thanks,

Andreas​