Re: [O] org-mode markup vs rst for general content

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [O] org-mode markup vs rst for general content
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 16:14:20 +0000

http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/01/29/Export-org-mode-to-docx-with-citations-via-pandoc/

http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/06/11/ox-pandoc-org-mode-+-org-ref-to-docx-with-bibliographies/

   > Of the exports, to Word is still the least well developed (in my opinion
   > of course).

   > Sometimes I just use ox-clip to copy org-mode into word with formatting.
   > It works pretty well for simple things.

That is a good suggestion, I will look into it.

   > I started https://github.com/jkitchin/scimax/blob/master/ox-rtf.el s an
   > alternative path to word. It works kind of minimally, but it does not do
   > everything, and I have not worked on it in a while.

What's with math equations, do you cover those?

http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2014/08/08/What-we-are-using-org-mode-for/
   > which talk about the blog, two large "books" I wrote in org-mode, and a
   > few of the scientific papers we have written in org-mode and converted
   > to Latex then pdf (there are over 15 now I think).

Now this is interesting. I have been using LaTeX for the last 20 years
or even more, always with (X)Emacs + AuCTex. While I see the benefits of
org mode (especially its excellent table support) I see its deficits (in
my opinion) when it comes to editing mathematical equations. Sure I can
use cdlatex, a minor mode, which is very good and I use it even within
auctex. But there are a lot of things cdlatex can not do, nor does it
claim it could. So I am curious to know how you deal with these
structures.

Uwe